Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Departure

It almost didn't happen.
When I got to the airport (MSP) and tried to check in, the Delta people said they wouldn't let me board! They said that since my ticket was for longer than 3 months I needed a Visa, and unless I bought a return ticket, I was shit outta luck. So it set me back about an hour and half. Calling my program director in Israel, talking to various Delta vile, most of whom just wanted me to go away.
Needless to say, I was fuming!
Thank God that Wahida was with me to help me keep calm, otherwise you might be bailing me out of Homeland Security for disturbing the peace. It took all my strength not to scream and cry and curse and throw shit. Eventually I found a lady who was willing to actually listen and help.
I told her that my program was sponsored through MASA, the Jewish Agency and affiliated with the Israeli Government. I told her that I could have my program director fax them info about my program, visa, ect. (I told the first 3 people I spoke with the same thing and they said they didn't care, it wasn't their business) But this last woman was very nice and went and got me the fax number and spoke with her supervisors. Once the fax came through, they checked me in and let me through.
I think all that hoopla must have roused suspicion because security "randomly" searched my bag TWICE. Once during security screeening and again before I boarded for JFK. I didn't mind though, I was just happy to be getting aboard.
First flight actually stopped in Detroit for an hour, it was a short and pleasant flight. Sat next to a girl who was one her way to China with a bunch of classmates from MCTC. Then on the flight to NYC, the seat next to me was EMPTY, which was really nice.

If the fact that I was coming to Israel had yet to sink in, it certainly did so when I got to JFK Gate 14.

1 comment:

wahida said...

ooooh a cliffhanger! you're not in kansas anymore.

ps, thank goodness for anita, the good-airline customer-service-lady of the midwest : )